ISB Summer Undergraduate Research Experiences Program
Are you a current undergraduate student with an interest in biology, chemistry, computer science, information science, applied mathematics, and/or engineering? An internship at the Institute for Systems Biology (ISB), might be a good fit for you.
The ISB Summer Undergraduate Research Experiences Program offers undergraduates with a diversity of backgrounds, career goals and experiences the opportunity to experience research side by side with experts in systems biology.
Important Dates for Summer 2024:
- December 6, 2023 – Information Session via Zoom, review the agenda and watch the recording
- December 11, 2023 – Application opens
- February 26, 2024 – Application closes
- March – ISB Scientists review applications, conduct phone interviews and make informal offers
- First week of April – Formal offer letters sent to selected applicants
- Late April – All applicants notified of their status
- June 17 – August 2 – Required weeks at ISB facility, additional 3 weeks determined by student and mentor schedules
To support learning, student interns will:
- Be paired with a mentor based on their interests. Students with a demonstrated interest in fields such as biology, chemistry, computer science, information science, applied mathematics, and/or engineering are all good fits for the types of research projects available.
- Complete a research project developed with/by the student intern’s mentor
- Be included in all events at ISB, including lab meetings and retreats
- Participate in ongoing professional development including attendance at workshops, seminars, & team tasks
- Complete a poster with the support of their mentor and other ISB staff to be shared at an ISB-wide mini-symposium
- Be included (where applicable) on the development of publications that result from their research project
Logistics of research experiences at ISB:
- The program selects a broad range of students, from current freshmen through to seniors with a diversity of backgrounds, career goals and experiences
- Student interns will work 30-40 hours per week at the state of the art research facility in Seattle, WA
- Student interns receive a stipend of at least $625/week or equivalent hourly wages
- ISB does not provide housing but some students will qualify for a housing stipend of $4200 and can choose from a variety of options including summer intern housing at UW
- To allow students from a variety of institutes to participate, interns will participate for 10 consecutive weeks during the summer that must include the seven weeks from June 17 to August 2. (e.g. a student from a semester system school might participate from May 29 to August 2 and a student from a quarter system school might participate from June 17 to August 24.)
- Authorized to work in the US
- An undergraduate student who is enrolled in a degree program (part-time or full-time) leading to a baccalaureate or associate degree
- A student at an accredited college or university in the United States
- Planning to attend either an undergraduate or graduate program in Fall following participation in the program
- In possession of a high school diploma or equivalent before applying to this program. (Note: current Running Start students are not eligible)
Please direct questions to email@example.com with Summer Undergraduate Research Experiences question in the subject line.